In 2016, Elizabeth Freeman Center provided help and support to 318 survivors of sexual assault, including responding 40 times to local hospitals and police stations to support someone immediately after a sexual assault had occurred.
Sexual violence affects us, our friends, our neighbors, our children, our classmates, our coworkers, our communities. It does not discriminate – it happens to people of all races, beliefs, income levels, genders, and ages. Nationally, 1 in 6 women, 1 in 33 men, and nearly 1 in 2 people who are transgender, genderqueer, or gender-nonconforming have experienced sexual violence.
We say no more. No more rape. No more victim blaming. No more shame. Join us this Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month as we stand up as a community to speak out against sexual violence, rape culture, shame, and victim blaming, and help us champion the work to prevent it:
- April 6th: Central County Rally – Park Square, Pittsfield, 4-6pm. Shatter the silence! Signs provided or bring your own.
- April 6th: White Ribbon Day at MCLA – MCLA Quad, 12:15-12:30pm. Take the pledge and wear the ribbon to end gender based violence.
- April 7th: Burger Night for Elizabeth Freeman Center – Otto’s Breakfast & Deli, 95 East St, Pittsfield, 5-8pm. All proceeds benefit EFC.
- April 10th: The Hunting Ground film showing and panel discussion – Sullivan Lounge, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA), 6pm. Free.
- April 20th: North County Rally – in front of City Hall, North Adams, 4-6pm. Shatter the silence! Signs provided or bring your own.
- April 22nd: Consent to Dance – Latin Night fundraiser for Elizabeth Freeman Center by Berkshire Salsa, Italian ITAM Lodge, 93 Waubeek Rd, Pittsfield, 7pm-1am. $15, or $12 with student ID.
- April 26th: Free Self-Defense Class – Unitarian Universalist Church, 175 Wendell Ave, Pittsfield, 6-8pm. RVSP to Colleen at (413) 499-2425 x6